Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The main function and expectation of a student employee is to keep a pleasant, helpful, and efficient working environment. The following guidelines are designed to help you accomplish this goal.
- We all must remember we are offering a service to our constituencies, whether these patrons are staff members, faculty, administrators, or fellow students. We must realize that those we come in contact with, whether it is in person or on the phone, are developing their impressions of the Library by your actions and demeanor.
- Please bear in mind that how you represent the University Library is critically important to how the Library is perceived by the university community. Your physical appearance and dress, your manner, and your dedication make a difference.
- You should do all you can to make the patron feel welcome by an enthusiastic greeting and attention to their needs. If a customer's request is something you have not been trained to respond to, you should immediately seek your supervisor to help you meet the need.
- There may be times when activity is at a slower pace. During those times you should ask your supervisor if there is anything specific that needs to be done. If not, you may study. At all times you should remain aware of the comings and goings of people in your assigned area. Please do not come to work expecting to study or finish a project; work comes first.
- The work area should be neat and clean at all times. Personal effects should be properly stored out of the way in the Reserves Room.
Personal Conduct on the Job
Courtesy is a vital function of the Library. Students should remember that not only are they employees, they are also representatives of Eastern University and Warner Library. Our patrons are the reason we have a job and they deserve our full attention and respect.
- While you are on duty, your friends are not to visit. Ask them to meet you for break or after work.
- Student workers are the only people that should be at the circulation desk. Friends and others are not permitted behind that desk!
- Respect fellow workers.
- Cooperate as a friendly team player with coworkers and supervisors.
- Please dress appropriately. We are aware that you are students but please, no cut-off shorts or shirts, no clothing with suggestive or inappropriate messages, or revealing attire.
- If you have an accident or injury while on the job, please see your supervisor as soon as possible.
- Any student who is dismissed during the semester will not be considered for re-employment in the library.