1. Be ready to help any patron that comes to the circulation desk.
2. When Checking out materials - Please make sure you look at the screen when scanning in a) a patron's ID, b) each item checked out. Make sure items are being checked out to the correct patron.
IMPORTANT: OverRide box
If the system sends a prompt for an override code, please seek out a librarian to input the code. What is this box? The override comes up for various reasons:
a) If you are attempting to check out materials and the person is not in the system
b) If the patron has a fine, you will need an override
c) If the book is not in the system
d) If patron is taking out Media materials, many times an override is needed. Rules for media are that patrons can take out 3 items each of DVDs, Audio Books, music, etc. Many of these materials have more than one disk in each - therefore an override is needed.
e) Overrides can occur when renewing materials as well. Please watch the screen at all times!
PATRONS MUST PRESENT THEIR E-CARD IN ORDER TO CHECK OUT MATERIALS! NO EXCEPTIONS!
If you have any issues with this, please seek out a librarian. (There is usually one at the Information Desk after 9AM daily.)
3. Check in all materials. Sensitize materials as needed.
a) Reserve materials should be checked in and placed in their appropriate locations
4. Organize materials
5. When there are two student workers at the desk:
b) When shelving, use the shelving slip template at the circulation desk to make slips of paper with your initials and date. Put one of these in each book you shelve.
IMPORTANT: All students must take the Shelving test - located on each computer at the Circulation desk. You may take the test as many times as needed to understand how to organize materials in Library of Congress classification order.
6. Send patrons to the Information desk for questions including:
a) Research questions / b) for printer issues
7. WEPA card sales - CASH ONLY. The Blue bag with cards and money will be stationed at the Information Desk during the day. When the evening librarian leaves at 8pm, he/she will organize the bag and the cash drawer, and turn them over to the evening student workers.
8. Cash Drawer - kept at the Information Desk during the day. The cash drawer is for collecting fines. The amount of cash in the drawer is monitored daily.
9. Other duties as assigned.
Guidelines for Student Workers
Have fun, love your job.
Kill people with kindness.
Greet people as they come in.
Thank people for coming in/say goodbye/have a nice day.
Offer up options and alternative solutions.
Look up; don’t get too involved in your computer.
Tell a librarian if people are breaking rules/making you uncomfortable.
Don’t come to work impaired.
CELL PHONES MUST BE PUT AWAY WHILE YOU ARE WORKING.
NO HEADPHONES WHILE YOUR ARE AT THE DESK!
No playing music or wathcing videos.
NEW: PLEASE PERFORM HEADCOUNTS IN THE LIBRARY HOURLY. THERE IS A SHEET FOR EACH DAY AT THE CIRCULATION DESK! THIS IS IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT THE LIBRARY NEEDS. IT IS NOT BUSY WORK!
*Be sure to check your e-mail during each shift for new notices/substitution requests